Archibald T. Reeves IV
Archie has a broad range of courtroom experience, having tried cases in state and federal courts in Alabama and litigated in numerous other states throughout the country. His practice areas include product liability, pharmaceutical and medical device, business and commercial litigation, intellectual property, complex coverage disputes, antitrust, as well as general personal injury litigation. He has handled matters in the multi-party and class action contexts as well. In addition to his practice, Archie regularly speaks and presents on trial-related topics, and he served as a faculty member of the International Association of Defense Counsel’s Trial Academy at Stanford Law School.
Archie has received designations in Alabama Super Lawyers (named to the Top 50 Alabama Super Lawyers) and Benchmark Litigation, and he has been identified as a leading product liability defense and life science/product liability attorney worldwide by Who’s Who Legal.
Some of Archie’s recent professional highlights include:
- Obtaining summary judgment of a medical device manufacturer in federal court.
- Successfully opposing temporary and preliminary relief in a variety of commercial and business matters.
- Obtaining the granting of a dispositive motion in state court on behalf of a medical device manufacturer.
- Achieved a defense verdict in a business tort case involving the development of a large marina on the Gulf Coast.
- Represented the state’s oldest daily newspaper, through trial and to a successful appeal in the Alabama Supreme Court, in a case clarifying and expanding the right of public access to municipal criminal files.
He and his wife Shannon are parents to three sons.
- University of Alabama School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1987 - Research Editor, Alabama Law Review, The Order of the Coif, Hugo L. Black Scholar
- The University of the South, Bachelor of Science, 1984, magna cum laude - Phi Beta Kappa
- The Best Lawyers in America © - Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Antitrust, Litigation-Construction, Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants (2010-2023)
- Alabama Super Lawyers - Business Litigation (2010-2022)
- Named to Top 50 Alabama Super Lawyers (2016)
- Listed, Benchmark Litigation: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- Who's Who Legal – identified as a leading product liability defense and life sciences-product liability attorney worldwide
Professional civic and charitable organizations
Member, Drug and Medical Device Steering Committee (Program Vice-Chair, 2022 and 2023 Drug and Medical Device Seminar) State Liaison, Drug and Medical Device Steering Committee
Member – Board of Directors (Secretary-Treasurer) (2016-2020) CLE Planning Chair, 2013 Midyear Meeting Chair – Drug, Device and Biotechnology Committee, 2006-2008 Faculty Member, 2009 IADC Trial Academy at Stanford Law School
Educational legal seminar presentations and lectures
Mr. Reeves focuses on what he knows. Explore his published works and seminars.
- "Current Daubert Themes in Drug and Device Litigation”, For the Defense, February 2006
- Drug and Device Litigation, Alabama Bar Institute for Continuing Legal Education, May 2002
- “Uncle Sam as Plaintiff: Compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices,” For the Defense, May 2002
- “Fraudulent Joinder/Misjoinder in the Class Action Setting”, For The Defense, February, 1998
- “The Charging Standard for Punitive Damages in Alabama Fraud Actions”, Alabama Law Review, Spring, 1986
- International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, Stanford Law School, 2009.
- Satellite Trial Academy, International Association of Defense Counsel, Birmingham, Alabama, January 2007.
- Daubert Update: Recent Cases for the Defense Arsenal, Defense Research Institute Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, October 2005.
- Defending Corporate Executive Depositions, International Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Colorado Springs, Colorado, July 2005.
- Jury Selection Techniques, International Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Hot Springs, Virginia, July 2004.
- Expert Testimony in Drug and Medical Device Litigation, ABICLE, Birmingham, Alabama, May 2002.
- Liability Implications of Direct to Consumer Advertising of Pharmaceutical Products, International Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Whistler, British Columbia, Canada, July 1999.
- Insurance Coverage Issues in Environmental Litigation, ABICLE, Birmingham, Alabama.
Request a meeting with our expert legal team.
We will take the time to understand your unique legal needs and put you in contact with one of our specialized attorneys.Request a Meeting